Monday, March 12, 2018

C. Pat?

This article has been edited and included in The Leadhead's Pencil Blog Volume 5; copies are available print on demand through Amazon here, and I offer an ebook version in pdf format at the Legendary Lead Company here.

If you don't want the book but you enjoy this article, please consider supporting the Blog project here.

This might seem like an unlikely one to have made the cut as I was deciding which out off Ed Fingerman’s Victorian collecdtion I could afford to buy:


I’ve got scads of pencils like this - nearly all are marked Mabie Todd, together with John Mabies October 3, 1854 patent date, a reference to patent number 11,762 (regardless of whether it is also equpped with the sliding dip pen nib:


This one, though, bears no reference to Mabie’s ubiquitous patent.  Instead, it says something else:


“C. Pat. 51" This one has me scratching my head.  True, a few of these are marked with Nelson Goodyear’s hard rubber patent of May 6, 1851 – but that would be “G. Pat.,” wouldn’t it?  And try has I might to get a G out of that imprint, it just isn’t there – it’s clearly a C.  There were just four patents issued in category 401 that year, according to American Writing Instrument Patents 1799-1910, none of them taken out by or assigned to anyone by the name of C.

Could it stand for “Canadian?”  Well, I’m pretty sure the 51 is a date, and the Dominion of Canada wasn’t formed until 1867 (and I checked - Canadian patent number 1 was issued in 1868). 

I have a theory.  I’m pretty sure the “Pat. 51" refers to a patent issued in 1851 – that brings me back to Nelson Goodyear’s patent for hard rubber.   Except it wasn’t called “hard rubber” in 1851


Goodyear referred to it as “India-Rubber” in the title, but in the first paragraph he calls it “Caoutchouc or India-Rubber”:


In fact, when Goodyear’s nephew Austin G. Day took out a patent for a slightly different formulation in 1858 (see “That Third Interesting Holland” at https://leadheadpencils.blogspot.com/2016/09/that-third-interesting-holland.html), that’s exactly what Day called it:


I think this imprint is shorthand for Nelson Goodyear’s 1851 patent for Caoutchouc.

2 comments:

applguy said...

Your ‘detective-work’ is intriguing... what is Pencil of this vintage worth?

Jon Veley said...

Would depend on the detail of the imprint and the barrel material (red hard rubber being much harder to find than black). Unmarked examples or those marked with Goodyear's patent are up to $100 usually. This one? Don't know, because I don't know how many other freaks like me would look at one and say "hey, I haven't seen one of those before."