Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Zoss List News

UPDATE 6/22/2017:  The new Zoss List is now up and running, thanks to a dedicated crew of volunteers - current subscribers have been automatically added (you can unsubscribe if you'd like).

I'm getting the digest version (I've received 9 so far), and they originate from zosslist-bounces@zosspens.com; on behalf of; zosslist-request@zosspens.com

I'm told we're having trouble convincing the good folks at Google that we aren't spammers, so if you aren't getting messages, here's what you can do:

Send Zosslist mailing list submissions to
              zosslist@zosspens.com

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
              zosslist-request@zosspens.com

You can reach the person managing the list at

              zosslist-owner@zosspens.com

-----

Original post:

Many of us are learning with great sadness that Tom Zoss, who has run the Zoss List for longer than I've been collecting, has decided not to continue running the list.

I was even more sad to learn that the PCA, which originally planned to take over and start running the list when Tom stepped down, decided not to continue the list.  According to Ron Zorn, the board's decision was due to the large number of online forums and facebook groups that are available, and the comparativcly light traffic seen on the old listserv Zoss List.

The List, for those of you who haven't heard of it, is a list you can subscribe to that will periodically send you emails with postings from other members of the group.  Some call it antiquated ... I call it comforting, and I've got a number of friends who get the Zoss emails who don't mess with facebook or the internet in general.   It's still, in my book (yet another antiquated form of communication), a valid and useful means for us to stay connected.

There's a group of us who don't want the Zoss list to stop, and we're going to try to do something about it.  I don't know yet what form this will take, whether we will continue the old list with Tom's blessing, or whether we'll start a new one.  So far there's 7 or 8 of us standing up to divide the labor, and I'm sure there's room for more.

For now, on this last day the list is active, I sent a message to it directing Zossers who don't want to lose touch here, as a place where you can find the latest news and updates concerning the List.  I'll post news here as I know it ...


4 comments:

Derek said...

I am a subscriber to this list. I love seeing the messages come through! I hope we can keep this going! Thanks Jon! I'll see ya at the next pen show.

Vance said...

Count me in, Jon. I was quite disappointed when I discovered that PCA wouldn't be keeping it going. For me, the mail list format has always been the most convenient. For me, the web interface fora have all the charm and efficiency of a telephone tree.

The PENguin said...

Thanks to everyone who is volunteering to participate in what, for the time being I am thinking of as the "Zoss.2 List" It would help if anyone volunteering were to reach out to me directly by e-mail at rickpropas@comcast.net. I am in the process of setting a list of volunteers.

Joe Nemecek said...

Tom leaving his list is sad. People banding together to keep the listserv running is great news!